Gift Ideas for Father - $1500

Hi everyone, I'm currently a sophomore. This summer I interned at a private equity firm and got my first ever paycheck.

I wanted to buy a gift for my father but have no idea what to get him. My budget is $1500. Please let me know any suggestions. Thank you!

堵水精英建模方案

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (29)

莫st Helpful
Nov 8, 2021 - 3:00pm

You could get a watch or something, but honestly, I say save your money. Get a nice dinner together and have a great time. Cover the tab and say "thanks for bringing me this far, you've given me everything I need to succeed in this internship and support myself today, and I love you from the bottom of my heart." You'll warm his heart until it's hotter than the sun. Priceless… or perhaps at the price of some steak or lobster.

Nov 8, 2021 - 4:01pm

Yeah this. Say you have to go to the bathroom and get your card to the waiter secretly.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Nov 8, 2021 - 4:21pm

When I was 18 in my first real job, my parents came to visit and we ate lunch at Subway. I finally had some cash to spend and bought lunch for the three of us. My dad was caught off guard and said "you didn't have to do that." Which is the typical response, but I never forgot that moment and his unexpected reaction on just a simple act of kindness.

Another time years later I was in college, my Dad fronted me a bunch of money for tuition and travel expenses to study abroad in China. I was in the honors school and they ended up paying for the whole trip and cutting me a check for $6.4K. I came home one night and said 'here's your money back,' and again he was like "keep it." But I refused and it really meant a lot to him at the time.

I'm not implying anyone was hurting for money, but it's all about the 'gesture.'

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

• ProspectinIB - Cov
Nov 9, 2021 - 10:15pm

That's actually a great idea, thanks for mentioning it. Also you mentioned watches. If I decide to go for watches - which would you recommend in my price range?

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

b0b体育app下载
Nov 8, 2021 - 5:51pm

Do you both like sports? Take him to a game.

Nov 8, 2021 - 6:51pm

People will shit on you, OP, but I say absolutely do something nice. Your father made you who you are, and it seems like you made it pretty far in life already, so kudos to him for making it happen.

I postponed getting my dad a Jeep Wrangler for too long... lost him a couple of years ago, will never happen.

• ProspectinIB - Cov
Nov 9, 2021 - 10:18pm

Hey man, sorry to hear about your loss. You seem like a good person judging by your comment so I'm sure your father must've been proud of you.

Nov 9, 2021 - 9:52pm

Try to get him something that he's mentioned interest in but never pulled the trigger on himself. Something that could develop into a consistent hobby for him. Wish I could give an example, but I'm also trying to figure out what that is for my dad

Array

• ProspectinIB - Cov
Nov 9, 2021 - 10:19pm

I know he's started wearing watches a lot lately, however he has a very small collection - hence, I was thinking along those lines but I'm very clueless about watches tbh.

Nov 9, 2021 - 11:05pm

Download the Chrono24 app, you could maybe look at some gently used Omegas or Tag Heuers. Pair it with a nice 4 watch winder box and a book(s) on the history of watches and watchmaking/horology

Array

Nov 10, 2021 - 1:40am

Getting a gift to your dad is really nice of you to do. This is special as this first pay cheque probably means a lot to you in relation to all the hard work you've put in to date to achieve it, and how much it means to you to share that with someone who has been there for you along the way - your dad. My suggestion to you would be very biased, as my dad passed away very early in my career. Never had the chance to really see the reward of hard work paying off and sharing that special moment. Sure, my savings have grown, who cares, really? $1,500 would have meant a lot when I was younger vs. today. A lot of people will tell you to do the right thing, the logical thing, and obviously rational thing, which is to save & grow it. What does money mean anyway? What does $1,500 mean to you? And what does and will that gift from you to your dad mean to you? I think these are all important questions that only you can answer.

As for gift idea, maybe something that serves as a bond between you and your dad. Could be a tech gadget, could be a bottle of whiskey, could be golf set, could be a trip somewhere. It doesn't matter what it is as long as what you wanted to say with gesture gets to your dad. I'm so happy for you man. World needs more people like you.

VP
  • Associate 3inER
Nov 10, 2021 - 12:25pm

Taking him out to a game for a team you both like, and/or buying him a nice dinner is a gesture your father would surely appreciate. For me and my dad, we both share a love for whisky, so as gifts for christmas/birthdays/thank-yous etc.. I get him a bottle of whisky (doesn't have to be expensive either, plenty of great choices around the $50-$75 mark) that have a unique sentiment or story he can remember when he is having some.

Nov 11, 2021 - 3:51am

Deleniti laudantium odit architecto et corporis签证官luptatem nemo aut. Consequatur sed facere voluptatem ex. Ut ut doloribus nostrum et. Rem et dolore iusto eligendi. Aliquid deserunt sit ipsam qui et. Aut reiciendis dolor et odit quae ab sit.

Dolor ex reprehenderit consequuntur iure. Cumque aut voluptates dolor.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

January 2022bob竞技体育游戏

• Director/MD (5) $604
  • Vice President (20) $379
  • Associates (138) $238
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $154
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (15) $150
  • Intern/Summer Associate (60) $142
  • 1st Year Analyst (283) $138
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (223) $89

LeaderboardSee all